Typically I make content material advertising technique selections based mostly on instinct. Typically, I win and typically I lose. After I launched my first podcast present in 2009 I had no plan. It was a type of “prepared, fireplace, purpose” content material advertising initiatives. Truly, it was largely simply “fireplace.” I produced 49 podcast episodes on quite a lot of Web advertising matters starting from website positioning to social media and all the pieces in between. I completely suspended this podcast in April 2011. Surprisingly, iTunes nonetheless carried it till early this 12 months.
In these days, podcast listening wasn’t mainstream. In truth, you needed to work fairly laborious to take heed to podcasts. If you happen to didn’t personal an MP3 participant (equivalent to an iPod), you couldn’t take heed to podcasts.
Quick ahead to 2015 and podcasting in content material advertising has come of age! All content material entrepreneurs seeking to drive progress and enhance their technique ought to contemplate podcasting. Hold studying to seek out out why.
On this submit, you’ll be taught:
- How I obtained began in podcasting
- What a podcast is and what it isn’t
- Why podcasting is sensible for content material entrepreneurs
- How one can create a podcast monetization technique
- How to decide on a podcast present format
- An outline of podcasting instruments
- Content material advertising podcasting greatest practices
Bit by the Podcast Bug Once more
In 2014 I started to get the urge to launch one other podcast to up my content material advertising recreation. Intuitively, I felt the timing was higher from a content material advertising technique perspective. This time I had information to again up my intestine feeling (see under).
And, I knew that an increasing number of entrepreneurs had been taking curiosity in studying about podcasting as a content material medium.
(Picture supply: 2015 Social Media Advertising Trade Report: Michael Stelzner)
This time, I had a plan. Not like my first podcast, I knew precisely the subject I needed to cowl, the viewers I needed to achieve and the enterprise objective I needed to attain. And, I knew that an increasing number of entrepreneurs had been taking curiosity in studying about podcasting as a content material medium.
The Again Story
I run a B2B digital marketing agency. Our shoppers all face related challenges of their content material advertising technique. All of them want to achieve an viewers, get seen, have interaction with them and finally create an end result that’s measurable and good for his or her enterprise. Sound acquainted? Isn’t that what all content material entrepreneurs need at some stage?
The recommendation we give our shoppers is to create a media channel that’s distinctive sufficient to get seen, provides worth to their viewers and achieves their desired enterprise objectives. Most (perhaps all) manufacturers already produce white papers, eBooks, case research, webinars, blogs, a e-newsletter and perhaps some video content material. However, what number of manufacturers are producing podcast content material?
What’s a Podcast?
This can be a query value addressing. Typically, a web site will label an embedded audio or webcast accessible for playback on demand as a podcast. This isn’t a podcast.
A podcast is basically an Web radio present that’s subscribed to by way of iTunes, Stitcher or SoundCloud and listened to anytime, wherever on a cellular system. Definitely, one can take heed to a podcast from a desktop. However, the overwhelming majority of podcast conduct is listening whereas on the go. Widespread examples of podcast consumption embrace listening within the automobile, whereas doing home our yard work, jogging/on the health club and customarily anywhere you possibly can stick cellular system ear buds in whereas performing one other bodily exercise that doesn’t require your mind’s full consideration equivalent to studying a protracted kind piece of content material.
A podcast is a present that you just subscribe to. The present and subscription parts are what makes it a podcast, as in comparison with an on-demand audio file on a web site.
Maybe the most effective identified mainstream podcast is Serial, a drama delivered by way of the podcast format basically the identical as it could be delivered in a tv present, besides it’s purely in audio format by way of a podcast channel.
Lately President Obama appeared on the WTF podcast, hosted by Mark Maron. Whereas a selected comment made by the president throughout the interview stole the headlines, this was a giant second for the state of podcasting. That is the primary sitting U.S. president to be interviewed on a podcast, within the podcaster’s storage!
Why Podcasting Makes Sense for Content material Entrepreneurs
Definitely, Serial represents a watershed for the podcast medium, as does the Obama interview on WTF. Again in 2009, there was no “Serial” for different podcasters to look to as a mannequin. However, my viewers isn’t the identical viewers as that of the Serial present. I would like to achieve a company viewers, largely entrepreneurs in midsize and enormous enterprises all over the world.
So, as I deliberate to launch my Social Business Engine podcast I thought-about the state of podcasting in enterprise – as a content material advertising technique. In spite of everything, content material advertising is a strategic ingredient of the advertising combine. And podcasting requires dedication and planning, particularly to attain enterprise outcomes that all of us try to attain. Listed here are the components I thought-about when planning my podcast:
- Extra persons are conscious of podcasts now.
Edison Analysis’s Share of Ear(SM) research reviews that roughly 2% of Individuals take heed to podcasts. That’s about 13 million folks. Of those that take heed to podcasts, about 26% of their general audio consumption is from podcasts. And, general audio consumption by Individuals averages 4 hours per day.
- Podcast content material is simpler to eat now.
The explanation podcast content material is simpler to eat is basically as a result of shift in cellular listening. Individuals take podcasts with them in every single place. The Edison Analysis report additionally factors out that podcast listeners are “tremendous listeners,” consuming one hour and 45 minutes extra audio content material than the common American. This tells me that if I can seize the eye of my audience with compelling content material about how one can use social media strategically of their enterprise, I can construct a loyal viewers. And, as we all know in content material advertising, a loyal viewers is the holy grail to producing fascinating enterprise outcomes.
Concentrate on Related Content material
After I launched my Social Enterprise Engine podcast I had some concepts of how I can monetize it. However, in hindsight and in full disclosure, these concepts had been meaningless with out an viewers. And, we don’t construct an viewers with out high quality and related content material that serves an viewers properly.
So, fairly than an preliminary deal with monetization, I set out intensely targeted on constructing a podcast present that delivers on my promise of the Social Enterprise Engine model. And, that promise is to ship content material that helps entrepreneurs use social media of their enterprise extra strategically throughout all the enterprise. I knew I needed to be totally different than different podcasts which might be extra about “how one can use social media tactically.” I needed to supply examples of manufacturers being social and creating outcomes throughout the enterprise, not simply within the advertising division.
Did you discover that I referred to as my podcast a model? Whether or not my Social Enterprise Engine podcast is a model or a sub-brand of my digital advertising company, the purpose is open to debate. Launching a content material channel with no model technique is doomed to fail. As entrepreneurs, we all know the significance of brand name promise, model improvement, model adoption and model loyalty.
Create a Monetization Technique (aka ROI)
That is the subject normally of most curiosity to company content material entrepreneurs (and their boss) when contemplating a podcast. I’ll deal with it in two dimensions. I’ll share my monetization technique with Social Enterprise Engine, and choices so that you can contemplate with a podcast present produced in your company setting.
My monetization technique is straightforward…As I ship podcast content material that educates and evokes a company viewers via case examine examples, I expose this viewers to technology-based options (sponsors) they’ll think about using to assist them get outcomes. In lower than one 12 months, I started to get found and contacted by suppliers of social enterprise know-how options desirous to sponsor my podcast. Therefore, monetization has begun. Moreover, a few of our company shoppers have engaged us to assist them launch their podcast technique. That is clear proof that my deal with first producing high quality content material and constructing a loyal viewers is the pre-requisite to monetization (ROI).
Your monetization technique for a company podcast might be not the identical as mine. Listed here are a number of potential methods for a model to monetize a podcast content material advertising technique:
- Thought Management: Are there folks in your group with area experience? In fact you do…Give them a platform to share their data via a podcast. Interview them with a set of pre-determined questions. Seize their insights on a subject in a podcast and share it along with your audience. Do that on a constant foundation in a podcast present and watch your thought management meter take off.
- Lead Technology: Identical to a weblog that communicates beneficial data on a topic in an trade, a podcast can do the identical. Provide a name to motion within the podcast with a singular hyperlink so you possibly can measure attribution.
- Occasion Promotion: Do you host an annual conference? Or, perhaps placed on month-to-month webinars? Produce podcast content material that evokes folks to attend your occasions.
- Help Your Model: What does your model stand for? What’s the goal of what you are promoting on this world? Create a podcast devoted to this matter to show your model’s ardour for the subject. Showcase folks that exemplify your theme. Instance themes tied to manufacturers: enterprise progress (HubSpot), sustainable meals (Chipotle), customer support (Uncover Card).
- Construct Relationships: A podcast is a terrific format to interview influencers in your trade. Influencers are sometimes prepared to provide a 30 or 60 minute slice of their time for a podcast recording partially as a result of it may be scheduled at their comfort from wherever. Moreover, offered that your podcast is delivering high quality content material, influencers in your house will need to be related along with your channel. Recording a podcast with an influencer is a terrific strategy to begin or strengthen a relationship.
Limitations to Podcasting Entry
The reality is the largest barrier to entry is the dearth of dedication, planning and a willingness to launch a podcast as a present with a long-term view of a minimal of 1 12 months. I heard (anecdotally) that the majority podcast exhibits don’t make it past 10 episodes. The planning begins with a transparent definition of what you are promoting goal, and dedication out of your company management to provide it a go along with at the very least a one 12 months horizon. Which of the monetization methods talked about above applies to your state of affairs? Agree on it, then plan it.
Podcast Present Codecs
Be distinctive and modern when contemplating your podcast. There aren’t any guidelines. Podcasting is an uncensored medium. Go at it alone as a solo host if that method works for you. Nonetheless, generally, the solo method will not be advisable in a company podcast state of affairs for a myriad of causes, the largest of which is, if or when the person host leaves your organization, there goes your podcast. In a company podcast technique, the “Meet The Press” fashion with a rotating host or co-hosts, together with rotating company, is all the time a very good possibility. This method permits your model to be extra acknowledged for the theme of your present fairly than the person(s) internet hosting the podcast.
I might be remiss if I didn’t present a glimpse into the instruments it’s good to podcast. Many others have written extra extensively on this matter. Considered one of my favourite sources on this matter is a curated listing of Best Podcast Software and Tools written by Ian Cleary of RazorSocial.
To document my podcasts, I take advantage of an Audio-Technica ATR2100 microphone. I’ve experimented with a number of recording platforms. At present, I take advantage of Skype for distant interviews together with recording software from ECamm. After I document on location in a one-on-one interview, I document on my Zoom H4N Recorder. I take advantage of GarageBand on my Mac to edit the recording, insert music and produce the completed MP3 file. Audacity is an alternative choice to GarageBand, extra standard with PC customers. I add the ultimate MP3 file to my Libsyn account, which hosts my podcasts and distributes each to iTunes and Stitcher for me.
If this sounds tedious, it’s. Whether or not you select to outsource these particulars or do it your self is a call you’ll make when you get began. I like to recommend you post-produce at the very least a handful of episodes of your new podcast so that you just perceive what it takes to attain a top quality podcast present. Top quality audio is critically necessary. The viewers is normally listening via ear buds and different occasions via automobile audio system. The standard of the audio is much more necessary than the standard of your content material, as a result of an ideal interview with an ideal visitor is ruined if the audio high quality is poor, leading to a poor expertise and a poor impression of your model. Sweat the audio high quality!
Podcast Content material Advertising Greatest Practices
Podcast content material is totally different than different types of content material. Nonetheless, the most effective practices of “market your advertising” nonetheless apply. Listed here are a couple of strategies to get the phrase out about your present:
- Present Notes: Create a present notes web page for every podcast episode. On this sample show notes page, you see that it resembles a weblog submit in some ways. The distinction is that you just additionally provide the choice of listening to the podcast episode and embrace hyperlinks to sources you talked about within the podcast. Encourage podcast listeners to go to the present notes web page as a service to your listener in recognition that the listener is most definitely cellular and never in a position to simply entry on-line content material that you just’ve talked about throughout your podcast. On the present notes web page, additionally embrace different content material that contributes to what you are promoting objective equivalent to hyperlinks and CTAs to different related content material or provides.
- Electronic mail Subscription: Additionally contemplate creating an electronic mail subscription listing from the present notes pages as a way to electronic mail new episodes to your viewers. For instance, we talk to our viewers that we ship our weekly podcast episodes by electronic mail each Friday. Inform your viewers how usually you’ll electronic mail them with new episodes and the day of the week to count on it. Then, keep on with that dedication. See the e-mail under for an instance of what you possibly can ship your listeners.
A Little Inspiration
You’ve learn this far, so I’m compelled to supply you examples of business podcasts to contemplate, examine and presumably get pleasure from. In fact, this can be a partial curated listing. And, the listing grows weekly. iTunes has greater than 250,000 podcasts on a variety of matters. If you examine this to the tens of millions of blogs, white papers and movies produced each week, the chance to achieve an viewers saturated with content material ought to be apparent. Add to this chance to re-purpose podcast content material into present notes, Slideshare shows, YouTube episodes as properly electronic mail channels; and amplify it via social media accounts. (Check out the Content Marketing Pyramid to be taught extra about how one can repurpose content material.) The time is now that podcasting represents an ideal alternative for many entrepreneurs.
By this time you’re both satisfied that podcasting is one thing it’s best to contemplate or not in your content material advertising technique. Causes to not contemplate podcasting begin with the dedication of assets and time required. It’s a critical dedication. Causes to contemplate podcasting begin with the expansion and recognition of the medium as a strategy to eat content material. As a content material marketer, you’re all the time striving to enhance your outcomes. Why not attempt podcasting?
Wish to be taught extra about how a podcast can match into your content material technique? Obtain Curata’s eBook, The Content Marketing Pyramid, for a whole framework.